Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cape Town whales

Finally - I have seen them for the past few days now, but they have been just been either too far away or just big black blobs in the water.

Last night we where at a friends house in St. James and they started to perform.

I must apologize though, these images where taken of my wife's "Canon G7" (left my camera at home) at full zoom, image stabilizer on, and a high ISO (it was dusk). They are not the best nor the sharpest and I had to crop it quite extensively. So what I am saying in a nut shell is the camera did a fine job but an DSLR would have been better.

Oh well, at least you can see the whale.

PS we need to name him, any suggestions?

Cheers

5 comments:

Curly said...

Hi from South Shields, nice picture you have here today, we never get to see such sea life here.

I need your support, see my latest post at South Shields Daily Photo

Photographers rights in the UK and worldwide are under increasing threat and we need to make a stand now!

Unless something changes dramatically, this will be the last ever post at South Shields Daily Photo.

Virginia said...

Blackie the Blob??? I don't know, I am not fully awake and the creative juices are still in the coffee pot. I love whales and had a great time teaching all about them to my third graders. I can't tell what kind Blackie is. More info please, and more great breaching shots.

Unknown said...

Blackie the blob he is, lol.

Southern right whale, there is also a pic tomorrow of him.

Anja F. C. said...

ahh, you got one, they still soooo far. Mine was a jumper today, but no shot.

Unknown said...

Funny thing was that one was jumping just behind Muizenberg Main beach yesterday and every time I put the camera to my eye he would stop (camera down and he would jump)